Tuesday, April 25, 2017

LETTER TO TODD MCCANN @ TRUCKERDUMP.COM


I’m going to just jump into this because it’s been on my mind quite a bit.



I’ve been thinking about the podcast I recently heard on trucker nation. Misty Noel hosts and enjoys talking about health issues for drivers. I haven’t gotten very far into it because she also talks about tax crap all the time. I can only hear so much of that before I hit overload.



She stated that truckers, on average, live 15 years less than non-drivers. I have no idea if this is an accurate statistic, but it kind of bothers me. Why? If this is accurate, then why? Diet, exercise, rest, work conditions, stress, access to medical care?



I’ve been out here since July, 2015. Nope, that’s not very long, but I’ve noticed several things. The general public has no clue and don’t care; and the companies that COULD help us in being healthier, turn us away.



How many Walmarts have you tried to park in that says no trucks. How many grocery stores have access? How many truck stops are actually close enough to shop at a store? I parked at a truckstop recently and had access to a Walmart. After slogging through a flooded field, the thought of hauling 40 lbs of groceries back to the truck was ridiculous.



How many companies have restrictive off-duty driving policies? How many places allow you to drop a trailer for a limited amount of time so you can run a few errands bobtail? How are truckers supposed to be healthier if we don’t have the routine access that other people do?



It wasn’t just the statistic of 15 years less to live that prompted my thinking, but also an article sent to me from a long-time family friend in Colorado Springs.



The TOPS organization is a group that has been working in the Colorado Springs, Colorado area to promote trails, parks, and preserves. Admirable and, from the article, they’ve done great work over the years.



My thoughts while looking at the article were, what kind of access is provided for people like us? What do we get out of it? We bring in the products and provide the materials that keep the economies of the world running. But, it’s like we’re a forgotten minority.



Sometimes, we are the problem. Why should they care about a bunch of guys who don’t bathe, throw trash on the ground, and clog up THEIR commutes? Other than warning other drivers about hazards, most of the CB chatter is trash too. We can’t even behave well to each other? Why?



I was one of the people who didn’t give trucks a second thought until I became a trucker. I love this life. It’s the most money I’ve ever made (which I am fully aware is pathetic), but it just fits me. I’m just disappointed in the country, the industry, and people who think truckers don’t matter.



Anyway, I just thought you might have some thoughts about some of these things and could help me understand.



Thanks for listening,



Renae




No comments:

Post a Comment